CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 9, 2008

The Rise & Fall Of My Vegan Adventures

:*( Sadly I had to cease & desist my vegan adventures, because as vigilant as I was I was unable to maintain a healthy weight and circled the 100 lb mark and the sprial kept going in the downward fashion, so in an effort to not look like Karen Carpenter, I had to start eating normally again. I'm OCD in that if you're going to do something (i.e. become a vegetarian/vegan) you should do it all the way, and the whole "Octo-Lacto" vegatarian diet still participates in the factory farming business, which was the whole reason I started this venture. However I did gain a whole new perspective on being aware of, and responsible for your dining choices. I feel a little better purchasing local farm products, rather than the mass produced foods. I'm sad that I do still very much believe in the whole anti factory farm issue, and that I cannot fufill my part in not supporting that industry :*(

1 comments:

Barry said...

You must read The Omnivore's Dilemma. Now.

And watch those "organic" labels. A lot of the super market stuff is from big factory farms and a big one (Cascadian Farm) is now owned by General Mills. The fraud list goes on and on and on, but basically the industry got hold of the word 'organic' and use it as a marketing scheme. Really what we should be looking at is just how far our food travels and how much fuel it takes to grow it (including the corn that's force fed into them in the case of cows/steer and the anti-biotic used to keep them from getting sick on the corn), package it and get it to your plate.

And never, ever feed your kids Mcnuggets. They are almost literally poison.

That said, I just had steak for supper. We're getting a side of grass fed moo from Vermont this fall though.