CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

*sighs*

So on my vegan mission, today I bought "The Vegan Sourcebook; second edition" by Joanne Stepaniak M.S. ED, "The Vegetarian Family Cookbook" by Nava Atlas and "101 Things To Do With Tofu" by Donna Kelly & Anne Tegtmeier, in order to properly educate myself on the subject and learn the proper nutritional values, etc. I'm really excited about this, and my Mr supports whatever it is that I'm involved in, however the one thing that I really wish he would do is watch the video "Meet Your Meat" narrated by Alec Baldwin on the PETA website. The video shows uncover videos of factory farms, and what happens to the animals that become our dinner. I'm not one to pressure anyone by any means, but I just really wanted him to watch the video and truly understand why I am so adament about not participating in the consumption or purchase of any animal products, or buying from companies that use animal testing. He like everyone else, doesn't agree with how these animals are treated, but he "just can't" watch the video. I guess it would just mean a lot to me if my husband could see for himself the atrocities that affected me so deeply, and have a greater appreciation for my beliefs. *sighs*

3 comments:

Barry said...

Good for you Robin! He may or may not come around. I'm not sure I could watch it. People don't like PETA and other groups (Greenpeace as an example) because they show the truth and most people can't, or won't take the truth. The stuff you are finding out is one of the things that has lead us to seek alternative sources for meat (see my Blog in April "Moooo"). It's not very easy, but it is possible to find something a little more humane. I've tried the vegetarian thing and just can't do it. I wish you the best of luck and if I can help you along in any way, feel free to ask.

Live/Love/Life said...

I also did the vegetarian thing for almost a year. Please seek asistance through a nutritionist. I did it all wrong and had a chemical imbalance, vitamin deficiency, iron deficiency and dehydration and severe food adversians. Ended up in the hospital for almost a week trying to correct the wrong I did by thinking it was good for me.
I understand your cause but please be careful.

Barry said...

Follow the guides you talked about and you should be fine. Maybe try one of the health food stores in town (Bob Vanderpyl's store hidden behind CVS is cool) for supplements if needed. There are plenty of good alternatives out there. If you do seek a nutritionist, try to find one who is or knows the subject of being vegetarian as well. Where you're not going totally vegan you shouldn't have as much if any trouble. If cows' milk is an issue, maybe look into goat. We love cheese made from goat milk. Super yummy snack on rice crackers and really good for you. And stay away from artificial sweetener!