CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Bump Envy


So today was the grand tour of the maternity ward at Jordan Hospital in Plymouth. Husband was working his 24 hour shift on the ambulance, so my mom, little man and I went. We arrived for the 10:00 tour and I was the first there, it was 9:50 so I figured I'd be it, or it'd be a really small group. I was wrong. In the following 10 minutes, in waddled (I say that in the nicest of terms, since I find that the pregnant penguin shuffle is far more comfortable then actually "walking") approximately six other mommies, daddies, grandparents and siblings to- be. We were greeted by a super nice head nurse, who briefly explained visiting hours, securtiy measures, etc. Then she went around the room and asked when everyone was due. I was the 2nd closest, and the smallest baby bump. One girl wasn't due until september, and was twice the size of me. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, but I was actually really self conscious about my LACK of girth compared to the other mommies. Anyways, the group all followed the head nurse into the locked maternity ward, and were given the grand tour of the floor. I believe that there are 11 patient rooms, and they are currently working on expanding the nursery . There's also a water birth suite and the c section operating room on the same floor.
Of course little man was being a typical 3 year old boy, wanting to touch EVERYTHING, push every button, climb on the sterile beds, and managed to turn one of the tv's on during the tour ..... but the nurse was really nice and let him "lead" the tour down the hall. Michael Jr was predictably uninterested in the babies, but it was nice to have him and my mom along on the tour to see where little miss Mya will be born. I finally broke down and signed up last minute for a birthing class that starts on Monday and will run for 6 weeks from 7pm - 9pm. I had hesistated because I never signed up for them when I was pregnant with Michael, and didn't want to feel like a dork doing all the breathing excersizes in front of strangers. But I'm really trying to do all my homework so I don't have to have another horrible c section. So Michael, myself and our 2 pillows will be sauntering in to Jordan Hospital Monday night for the next 6 weeks with the other dorks to learn our breathing excersizes, how to utilize a yoga ball, and hopefully me keeping my sanity.


2 comments:

Fooseberry said...

My friends all told me the same-How lame the breathing part was. I was lucky (I guess) enough to deliver too quick for the drugs and needed those lame-o breathing exercises.
I wish you a quick delivery!

Live/Love/Life said...

I am so happy you are taking the class (after our discussion). Yeah totally lame but; I think it is imperative for "natural" birth. I popped every blood vessel in my face even with the breathing exercises and classes. There are "things" you can learn and ask that may be uncomfortable otherwise.
I LOVE Jordan and think you will have a great experience.