CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Between A Rock And A Hard Place





What do you do when you seem to have all the answers, yet no solution. I've been noticiably absent this past month or so, mostly due to the whirlwind that is my family life, between my grandfathers worsening health, and MJ's escalating behavior, I'm like that supporting branch thats about to snap. We have the diagnosis of ADHD combined inattentiveness and hyperactivity, and we started day 1 today of .5 mg of Tenex which is a alapha 2 beta blocker, non stimulant and non controlled substance. Sounds like a great alternative to the stimulant medications on the market that are commonly prescribed to ADHD, however one of the most commons side effects is drowsiness or solmnence..... Today was not what I'd call a optinmal day for starting a new med, but we wanted to try and get this adressed asap ... we had an unexpected guest at our house and my grandfather was not having a good morning health wise. MJ was given a .5 mg (1/2 of a 1mg tab) when we got up at 7:30 am. 11:00 am this kid was asleep on the couch. I had to wake him up less than an hour later to go to the store, and he was extra whiney and cranky, but I did have to get him up from a nap so I figured maybe that was it.





IDK, this kid hasn't napped regularly in over a year, so IDK whether to be concerned that its the meds making him sleepy, or whether he really has needed to nap this whole time and the hyperactivity keeps him from taking the naps his body really needs. When we got home around 1:30 pm he had lunch, and was asleep again. I needed to wake him up again, less than an hour later to drop him off at my moms bc I had to work, and again he was very whiney and cranky ... So IDK if I'm hypervigilant bc we started this new med, but my heart feels like its going to explode. I don't want his little spark to be snuffed out bc of medication, and I know that its not a good thing for him to continue on the path that he's on. The beginning of the week he gave his father a black eye bc he got so excited about playing that he flung a full super soaker at his father, and with in the first 10 minutes of the exam at children's hospital he had completely covered the front of his feet and legs with marker, shredded the exam table paper, almost over flowed the sink and obsconded the Dr's reflex hammer ..... *sighs* Maybe I just need stronger anxiety medication. My husband was on ritilan when he was MJ's age, I know that Adderall has worked wonders for me (obviously not safe for MJ at this point), and MJ deserves to be at his personal best, which as it stands right now, is just not attainable ... he's a tender hearted caring, bright, and funny little man, I don't want to lose that, ever.


2 comments:

Live/Love/Life said...

Not sure when this was printed but......
http://www.adhdhelp.org/tenex.htm
and of course a few others.

It's your child and your life and if you feel this is the best route for him then just make sure he is on the best medicine.
I know you've done your homework so that won't be an issue.

It is just crushing because we had B-man on meds and didn't want him on them and didn't realize how "mind numbing" they were until he got off of them and trust me some days are trying but I just remember looking into his eyes and seeing a vacant look and I know I never want to see that again.
Good Luck and stay strong

Anonymous said...

Thank for sharing this post. Visit birthday wishes in kannada